Guinea pigs make wonderful pets, loved by their owners. Guinea pig pictures and information on guinea pig care, guinea pig food, guinea pig toys, guinea pig sounds here on my blog, and of course photos of Skittles, our photogenic pet guinea pig.


Guinea Pigs Love to Climb




In case you were wondering, there is no doubt whatsoever that Guinea Pigs love to climb. For our "teenage" guinea pig Skittles, we discovered he has grown large enough to view stairs as fun, not an obstacle.

This was a bit surprising for Skittles. I had added a small wooden ladder to Skittles's cage weeks ago since climbing is such good exercise. But despite my best attempts to lead him up, he never used the ladder except to chew on. Yesterday he was out running free and playing his "guinea pig games" as my daughter calls them. You know, the Running Game, the Squeeking Game and the Pooping Game.

The next thing I knew, he disappeared. Finally I decided to go upstairs, assuming that I'd go back down later with a flashlight and look again under every piece of furniture. But within a couple of minutes I heard gnawing, and what do you know? He was under my daughter's bed - chewing on the frame. Yummm nice wood bed frame.

This feat of course involved climbing the stairs to get up to the bedroom. Well, I certainly think he got enough guinea pig exercise!

So, if you want to exercise your guinea pig, put some tasty parsely or other pig delicacy at the top of the stairs, point him in the right direction and watch what happens.

No comments: